Sunday, September 27, 2009

70.3 Muskoka

On Sept 13th, I took my first trip north of the border for the second annual Muskoka 70.3 Triathlon in Huntsville, Ontario. What a stellar trip. The race was incredibly well organized and had the best scenery of any long distance triathlon I have done. The exquisite Deerhurt Resort hosted the swim and transition area and proved overly capable of managing the athletes and transportation. The swim took place in the Lake of Bays- a huge body of water that was comprised of endless inlets and bays. The water was surprisingly warm (~72 degrees), and clad in my comfortable USA Revolt neoprene suit, I swam the 1.2mi distance a bit slower than I was hoping for. But not surprising considering recent months have involved planning a wedding and moving from Fort Collins to Boulder. The last 4 weeks have finally slowed down- and I am settled in a great swim group at Rally Sport Club in Boulder. Despite being busy, I have put a large amount of run miles in, and the legs have been feeling strong. I was betting on those legs as I exited the water at Deerhurst, and hustled up a 300m hill to my faithful wind-cheating steed-- Blue Competition’s Triad. Equipped with Zipp and rocking the 2010 Rudy aero helmet I powered my way along the maple tree-lined roads with the colors and smells of fall urging me on. Not being in the lead swim pack has its advantages, such as setting my own pace on the bike and not having to worry about a draft penalty. The bike leg, as sometimes happens, went by way too quickly, and before you can say Muskogee, I was out on the run course. The run was a simple out and back, and had a good mile long hill at the far end to bring a little pain. As I made my way to the turn around, eventual dominator Craig Alexander muttered something positive as he comfortably ran by (on his way to a 1:11 split). #2 and 3 were locked toe to toe, but Cunningham definitely looked the fresher of the two. As I counted up the athletes going by it became evident that I was not going to be making any reimbursement this particular event due to such a competitive international field. I was however very satisfied with my hard effort as I finished up strong with a comfortably fast run split and a huge smile on my face for 10th overall. The race enthusiasm at Muskoka was off the charts. Of all the races under my belt, only Kona surpasses last weekend in sheer passion and encouragement from the spectators. It felt like entire communities came out to cheer on the athletes, and people were always yelling my name! …Even though it was on my jersey and bib number. Although I was 10th, you would have thought I was winning.

So in summary- I would race Muskoka if you:
1. Like racing on hilly country roads engulfed in vibrant fall colors
2. Like clean, cool lake swims
2. Appreciate enthusiastic fans.
3. Enjoy Canada. Aye.

I would not race Muskoka if you:
1. Like really flat courses.
2. Like racing in 100 degrees
3. Don’t like organizing international travel arrangements.
4. Dislike hockey or maple syrup.

I am now off to (actually in transit) NASCAR’s Lowes Motor Speedway in North Carolina for the ITU short course Duathlon World Championships September 26th. I am in superb run shape, and I am very optimistic for Saturday’s event. Should be awesome!
Until next time,
Bruss

No comments:

Post a Comment